We are fundamentally committed to social and environmental sustainability. Our design work strives to uplift and reinforce human relationships to make the future built and natural spaces we inhabit more resilient. This means we work closely with clients, contractors, and communities to achieve shared goals for the mutual well being of all species and our planet. We use virtual simulation and information modeling to study the social and environmental effects of our own practice, as well as the effects of the projects we design.
A shared ethos of responsible stewardship drives our work, and our client service, to better reconcile the design and construction of our built environment with the evolving values of social and environmental equity.
We look for practical information-based solutions to address environmental and social equity needs. Seemingly simple decisions can lead to thoughtful and long-lasting positive outcomes without added cost or complexity. Ours is a triple bottom line sustainability philosophy where we seek the highest Environmental and Social goals, as well as Financial.
We have many successful third-party certified sustainable projects, including two LEED Platinum projects, the design of a net-zero energy project, and we are currently working towards our first Living Building. We work fluently with the USGBC and LEED, Living Building Challenge, WELL, JUST, Green Globes and Guiding Principles, Earthcraft, and others.
B Corp Certification
In January 2020, we completed and submitted the requirements to become a Certified B Corporation. B Corp Certification is the only certification that measures a company’s entire social and environmental performance. The B Corp certification evaluates and requires transparency along with accountability for our company’s impact on our people, community, environment, and our customers. At its core, B Corp Certification is third-party proof that our business model and operation meet the highest standards of verified performance. Find out more and how your company can get involved www.bcorporation.net
As we look to B Corp Certification within the next months, we have reshaped what we do as a company to better reflect our core values of social and environmental equity:
Transparent and Accountable Company Governance
- Our company structure, leadership, operating agreement, and impacts are open to our employees and the community
- Restructured company by-laws and operating agreement to better meet social and environmental values
- Leadership by a diverse and inclusive board of stakeholders tasked with maintaining these values and the alignment of our mission
Contribution to the Well-being and Benefits of our People
- Fair and generous benefits of compensation, healthcare, and working environment
- Access to company ownership, and stake in company decision-making
- Structured professional development, continued education, and project role opportunities
Economic and Social Enhancement and Contribution to Our Community
- Regular and programmed annual charitable donation of finances and company resources and expertise to those in need and those who do good
- Align with and hire companies of similar values and mission
- Provide a place of community engagement and active participation in our community
Environmental Stewardship and Resiliency for our Company and the Projects We Design
- Net zero carbon emission (C02e) for our company’s power and material consumption, including all work transportation (including employee commutes)
- Reduced water and material use, and purchase from vendors of like values and mission
- Recyclable, compostable product use
- Active advocacy with clients, consultants, and projects for environmental stewardship
- Tracking of environmental, sustainable, and resiliency outcomes for our projects
Improve the Value and Lives of our Clients and Users of the Projects We design
- Advocate for our clients and their missions
- Transparency of purpose in our mission and values, and the elevation of our client’s mission
- Accountability and tracking of positive social and environmental project outcomes for our clients